The Cove Ridge Center Foundation and Advisory Board is a 501c3 organization and as such your donation may be tax deductible. The Cove Ridge Foundation, along with it’s various sub-committees, aids Natural Tunnel State Park with programming, supplies, equipment, and other needs. Each year the Cove Ridge Foundation sponsors the following programs:
- Nature Trek 360 – two 3-day, 2-night camps for rising 5th-7th grade students in Scott County, VA. There is no charge for participants.
- Virginia Is for Students – a week long trip for up to 12 area high school students in which they visit different cultural, historical, and environmental areas of interest throughout the Commonwealth of Virginia. Participants pay only $50, which includes all materials, admission fees, food, etc.
- Pickin’ in the Park : Music in the Mountains – these events are held the last Sunday of May, June, and July and feature local band/musician as a featured performer as well as an open mic and jam session. The stage is open to all and is a wonderful opportunity for aspiring musicians to gain stage experience. There is no charge to attend or perform.
- Papa Joe Smiddy Mountain Music Festival – held the Sunday of Labor Day weekend the Papa Joe Festival features several performers from across the Appalachian region as well as local food vendors and artisans. Admission is $10 if tickets are purchased in advance and $15 the day of, but children 12 and under are free. Money raised from the event is put in a scholarship fund for local students to pursue an education in music.
- Outdoor Theater and Music – these events are held in July and August and feature local theater groups and musical performers. There is no charge to attend.
- CREATE Workshop for Educators – held each November, this is an opportunity for area educators to spend time at Natural Tunnel State Park learning about our area and the resources available for teachers. The Foundation partners with Master Gardeners, Master Naturalists, UVA at Wise, VDGIF, and others in the community for this program. Participants are all eligible to receive up to 15 credit hours and pay a modest fee which covers all materials, lodging, and food for the entire workshop.
- The Foundation also offers many workshops throughout the year that focus on environmental, cultural, and historical education. The fees for these workshops vary, but typically run between $5 and $10.
In addition to the programs/events mentioned above the Foundation also assists Natural Tunnel State Park by providing funds for projects like:
- the purchase of 15 passenger van and a bus used to transport park guests for programming
- a sculpture of the late Papa Joe Smiddy at the Amphitheater
- snorkeling and canoe/kayak equipment
- landscaping (native plants that double as self-guided interpretive programs)
- Alternative Adventures – also funded by the Virginia State Parks Round-Up Program, is a work in progress. This will be an opportunity for students of all abilities to visit the park and participate in hands-on, experiential programs. There will be no charge for these programs.
As a non-profit, the Cove Ridge Foundation relies solely on money raised from events, donations, and grants. We are constantly looking for ways to generate more funds to ensure Natural Tunnel State Park has what it needs to serve the public to it’s greatest ability.
Interested in supporting our cause? Just click below and follow the prompts. Thank you for your consideration!